Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Does G-d Care?

As promised, I will now use this blog to share interesting articles I find online. My full time blogging will be at http://www.tzipiyah.com . This blog will still be very interesting and often provide things not shared on Tzipiyah.com

Rabbi Yosef Benarroch

In his code of Jewish law Maimonides explains that belief in G-d is a fundamental part of Judaism and is considered one of the 613 commandments. The source of the command, explains Maimonides, is the opening statement of the Ten Commandments "I am the Lord your G-d" which can be found in this week's Torah portion of "Yitro".

When explaining the obligation to believe in G-d Maimonides states the following, "The foundation of our faith and wisdom is to know that there is a first cause (G-d) who created everything. This is a positive commandment as it is written 'I am the Lord your G-d" (Yesodeh Hatorah 1:1-6).

Read More
-end-of-post-

No comments: