Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Some basic texts to look over

I'm not sure why I feel like posting this right now, but here are some basic texts to look over. 2 poems from Rav Yehuda Halevy on love of Zion, and one essay from Rav Kook on the Shofar.

My heart is in the East

My heart is in the East, and I am at the ends of the West;

How can I taste what I eat and how could it be pleasing to me?

How shall I render my vows and my bonds, while yet

Zion lies beneath the fetter of Edom, and I am in the chains of Arabia?

It would be easy for me to leave all the bounty of Spain --

As it is precious for me to behold the dust of the desolate sanctuary.

In Hebrew.

לבי במזרח ואנוכי בסוף מערב

Zion - thou art anxious for news of thy captives
"Tzion Hallo Tishali leshlom asirayich"

"Zion, thou art doubtless anxious for news of thy captives;
they ask after thee, they who are the remainder of thy flock

From West and East and North and South, from near and far;
bring peace from every side.

And peace is the desire of the captive, who giveth his tears
like the dew on the Hermon and yearns for the day they will fall on thy hills

I am a mourner who weeps for your poverty and when I dream
of the return I am the accompaniment to thy songs.

In Hebrew

ציון הלא תשאלי לשלום אסיריך



Rav Kook on Shofar;

http://www.geocities.com/m_yericho/ravkook/ROSH_65.htm

more...

No comments: