Sunday, September 25, 2005

Tefillah

In my last post, we started discussing the way prayer is a tool to let our souls describe we cannot describe through our own words. I thought it might be a good idea to go through our prayer in order to somehow describe what I am going through.

My history started from the very basic concept of love of G-d. This is what pushed me to come to Israel. So, the fact that the first 3 prayers in our tefillah praise G-d is fitting. It's this El Hagdol Hagibor Vehanora which motivated me to come here in the first place and then, he was mechalkel chaim behesed and let me come to Israel.

In Israel, my first and foremost goal is enhance my daat, get more knowledge of torah. However, I also want to become mekarev to the avodat hashem, both in terms of becoming a better Jew and in helping bring a time where the real avodah, which only happen in the beit hamikdash, will once again be a reality. In order to get to that, I first have to look at my past and judge myself what I like about it and ask for forgiveness for the things I don't. Then, with G-d's help, I can get to my own little geoula. Hoshienu Venivashea: Make us win and we will win. It is with G-d's helo, El tov Umetiv, that I will get to this ultimate goal.

Of course, another aspect of this year in Israel is my love for Israel. Everyone knows that this year will not be my only one in Israel. Whether I have to get back to Montreal after this year or not, it is clear that my home will be in Israel in the next 5 years. This, in great part, is thanks not only to my own will, but to the great miracle which G-d made in which Kibbutz Galuyot could take place in our time. Every Jew who wants to get out of exile now can. Of course, some Jews want to stay in exile, which, if you think about it, makes no sense. Exile is something forced on you, how can you decide to stay in exile? However, I know my long-term goal will be to stay in this special place, in my home, for the rest of my life.

Of course, in our times, we also have our enemies which we wish to destroy, as a nation. This Malchout Harisha is probably the biggest obstacle to people making aliyah (with the attachment to a comfortable life and money a close second). However, G-d gives a good sachar, reward, to those who have faith in him. The 3 known ways to show your faith in G-d are prayer, the Land of Israel and Succot. When you pray, then you show your faith because you speak to G-d and no one would agree to speak to a wall, therefore you show you believe in G-d by having a dialogue with him. When you speak, you believe someone listens. The land of Israel shows your faith in G-d because it always seemed illogical to move to Israel. Historically, it has always been very hard for Jews to live on this land. To leave the comfort of America to come to this land can only be explained by faith. To stay in America is also showing, in some way, a lack of faith. Finally, on succot, we get out in our succas to symbolyze that we do not need any alarm system; all we need is G-d's protection.

When I get to the prayer of Binyan Yerushalaim, I cannot help but smile and laugh thinking at how great it is to say this prayer in our times. I imagine people crying over this prayer when they were in exile. However, nowadays, when we pray for the rebuilding of Jerusalem, we see it happening while we pray. The next step is Mashiach Ben David, and to that we "Ki lishouateha kivinu kol hayom": All day long we hope you will finally decide to bring your Mashiach. We
don't only hope, we also pray, and hope your hear our prayers berahamim ouveratzon, that you start missing our service and rebuild our temple. Then, we open our eyes, and see: Vetehezena Eneynu Beshouvha Letsion Berahamim. We see your coming back to Tsion and now that the temple is not so far away.
And that’s why we finish, just like we started with praise. After all the prayers and experiences this year in Yeshiva includes, what caused it to happen it also what results out of it: love for G-d. The final prayer being of peace, not just with other nations, but especially between Jews so that we can all dance together to greet the mashiach, right here, in front of the har habayit, where
I am sitting right now.

No comments: